Thursday, November 11, 2010

Cafe Britt Tour

Our respective dental appointments weren't until this afternoon (yep, every single day we're in the dental office EVERY SINGLE DAY for hours on end) so we had some time to kill after the Denny's adventure.

Jacob, our driver, took us to Cafe Britt to tour the facility. I had images of trekking around acres and acres of coffee plants swatting at errant bugs and flapping like a maniac at bees. Boy O Boy was I wrong.

We went up the mountain roads (which have a shocking lack of guard rails), over rain swollen rivers and the landscape was that amazing shade of green that can only be achieved by the rainy season. We passed homes with coffee plants in their front yards and I visualized being able to pick and roast my own beans for the freshest coffee ever - oh, it would be Nirvana to be able to do that. I LOVE coffee --- I LOVE Britt coffee.

We pulled into the Britt plant, paid our fee and then wandered around the grounds until the tour started. Ornamental Gingers in Vibrant oranges, reds and yellow vied with orchids, birds of paradise, banana plants in bloom and a host of others -- a riot of primary colors and pale purples, pinks and yellows all set against so many different shades of green the artist in me just wanted to stay there forever.

I hate to call this a tour because it just sounds so darn dry. This was performance art. The guides played roles and passed us back and forth all the while actually educating us on coffee plants, growing conditions, soil requirements, bean processing from beginning to end - everything from the individuals who pick each bean by hand to the end product -- bagged beans being shipped.

They took us into an auditorium where we had a "coffee cupping" demonstration (Doug and I were up there participating - I'm an idiot and that's about all I'm going to say about it. Doug, however, was brilliant). When the cupping session was over we were presented with coffee bean picker hats, who knew, official hats for picking coffee beans.

We learned that Britt does not have huge plantations they buy the coffee beans from hundreds and hundreds of small, individual growers. These growers were given land and coffee plants by the government (for free) to encourage the coffee business, grow individual business and aid the populace in supporting itself. This occurred in the 1800's -- very forward thinking. The coffee industry is not a monopoly and this encourages a strong middle class.

I was floored and duly impressed.

We learned that coffee beans must be picked individually because the beans don't ripen at the same time -- they actually go back to the same plants many times over the three month harvest period. Coffee beans must be processed the same day they are picked or the "sweet water" in the bean will ferment and if that happens, the coffee will taste like vinegar.

The Cafe Britt people are pure genius -- they made the presentations and tour so amusing you wanted to pay attention -- thus, you learned and retained knowledge whether you realized it or not. Stuff like how to plant baby coffee plants (it would make terrible coffee in Florida) and how it takes three years for a coffee plant to produce beans but each plant can produce for 40 years - I love fun facts!

We have been buying Cafe Britt via the Internet for about three years now and after this presentation and learning how every single step is hand done, the care they take and the fact that literally hundreds and hundreds of families earn their livings from the coffee, I will continue to buy this coffee.

I know, I know, I sound like some cheesy commercial but the coffee ROCKS and it's good to know that it isn't going to the pockets of some big business concern.

Ohhhhh, they had Cocoa plants -- I want one or ten in my yard -- I can make own chocolate. I'm going to try and find some cocoa plants when we get back.

Here are a few photos:



This is where the bags of coffee are boxed, there is one woman who does this.








One of three guides, she was a hoot and a half, I can't pronounce her name so I'm not even going to try and spell it.







The coffee bean roaster - oh, if you love coffee this is heaven. The smell of freshly roasted coffee beans wafts around and draws you to the building like hummingbirds to flowers.




Look! Look! an entire hopper of coffee beans - freshly roasted and in the cooling chamber. I could have just jumped in and happily rolled around like a puppy in tall grass.




This is the hopper where the coffee cools -- look how BIG.


No comments:

Post a Comment