Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sunday, November 7 - San Jose, here we come

Well, we didn't need that 7AM wake up call. You know how it is, you're in a strange bed that evokes the "Princess and the Pea" story line. We got up around 6:30, showered, repacked, went to breakfast and checked out. Off to the parking garage and on to the airport.
Orlando airport is HUGE but very well run and I have to say -- the TSA screeners are some of the nicest I've ever met -- not in that almost-creepy Disney-esqe way, but just nice in that "we don't need to scare the pants off you to do our jobs" kind of way. We didn't have much time between screening and boarding but I did manage to find some million-dollar AA batteries for the camera in the airport.

Jet Blue?? Love it - adore it. More leg room, the flight attendants were not only civil, but friendly and nice. They have little tiny screens in each seat back - we were watchin DirecTV until we hit Cuban airspace then there were some movie or music channels you could go to. Free snacks (cookies, chips, crackers) and soft drinks. They also offered box packages and cocktails.
Doug and I aren't the best fliers -- Doug's Xanax hadn't really had a chance to kick in prior to takeoff but he did really well. Me? Well, at some point in every flight over two hours long my subconscious decides there is no more air on the plane -- it's just gone - poof and I get a little panicky; that coupled with the fact that flying throws my balance off (inner ear damage from a car accident) makes me walk into walls until I can get to a PT.
I did take some shots from the plane --









The photo on the left are the mountains coming into the Central Valle and the photo on the right is either part of the Florida Keys or Cuba -- it's kind of hard to tell.
We landed at San Jose International and I have to say once again -- the Costa Rican people are some of the nicest people on the planet. Immigration was a dream, customs was a snap and the airport is spotless -- with tiles so shiny you could put your make up on in them.
Carlos, our driver, was waiting for us once again and he whisked us right to La Christina. It felt like a weird homecoming -- maybe because we were here just a few months ago. Hugs from Carlos, greetings from our friends at the Christina and a new room in a different wing (naturally, I have photos!)






The apartment features all that wonderful wood and white tile, a tidy little kitchen and nice size bedroom with two closets. This time we have a television in the bedroom and in the living room - which will make a big difference when one of us is down due to dental work and tucked into bed. The bathroom is nice and big and the windows are all open wide, letting in the cool mountain breezes.



Before we left we had heard about the mudslides in the area. Carlos tells us that some 24 people lost their lives and you can see evidence of smaller slides in the hillsides and mountainsides. Rainy season ends here at the end of the month and hopefully there won't be any more slides or loss of life.

We nested in our room and off we went to the Mas y Menes -- local supermarket. Yet another adventure in shopping. Christmas hits the stores here early too! Wreaths and trees and seasonal treats greeted us along with Christmas carols all in English. I guess it's the same the world over, isn't it. We picked up supplies and back to the room.

We wanted to go to the on-site restaurant for dinner (you remember from earlier posts -- the place that uses veal in it's meat sauce, but not calfs, "teen-aged" cows). Drat, they're closed on Sunday -- which means I don't get a "last meal" before the dentist starts his work tomorrow morning.


Oh, our bird friend is still here -- Mohawk Sparrow -- hopefully this photo will show you what we're talking about, if not -- well, we stuck here for a whole week so maybe we can get a better shot or ten....




Can you see it? He has a mohawk!





Well, I'm going to post this and go check my email and office computer and home phone and facebook -- technology, still can't decide if I love it or hate it!
Then, I'm going to have a nice glass of wine - don't aks me what it is -- I can't read the label.

2 comments:

  1. Hi kids!! I am now an official follower of the blog. Like my profile pic?? hehehe

    Hope all is going well and looking forward to your return!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda and Doug. Sounds a bit smoother this time than last SO FAR. Good Luck! I will stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete