Friday, June 18, 2010

Friday morning - we arrive at Poa Volcano

Well, we went to the breakfast buffet - had sauteed Yucca, sigh, scrambled eggs, black beans and rice and some Mango along with some green juice -- yeah, you read it -- green -- kind of a pale, mossy green -- Kiwi?? who knows...

Said farewell to Theresa (we think) telling her we'd be back (we think), if nothing else, I'm fairly certain we gave the onlookers some chuckles.

Doug says he has a "sharp point" that's cutting into his cheek -- back to the dentist. We were one of the first ones in so they took him right away --- yay. Back to the van and we're off to Poa Volcano with Jacob (the man of very little english).

Jummmmmppppiin Jimminy Crickets -- talk about Mr. Toad's Wild Ride ---- wending and winding our way up a mountain on a 1 1/2 lane road -- I'm sorry --- if those roads are two lanes then I'm Marilyn Monroe (before she died, thank you very much). Apparently guard rails don't exist in Costa Rica and from where I was sitting, it looked like we were going to fall off the mountain - constantly. Twisting, turning, stopping, giving way for trucks, buses and vans -- whoo weee, whatta ride.

Ah, we're at the Poa Volcano Park -- entry fee for Touristas? C5,000 each, Local? C1,000 and Parking? C2,000 total US = 26.00. Ya think they'd have a golf cart or two! ;-)

As we're walking up to the crater, along a lovely path lined with Umbrella plants and impossibly massive ferns I heard a noise, a funny little noise, like fairy wings madly flapping. I stopped and listened then turned to my right. Peeking through the foliage I see moss covered rocks with tree root tendrils hanging down and water dripping down the face and along the roots. Fairies? Not quite -- it seems that hummingbirds were using this as a showering station - they were clinging to the moss covered rock, flapping their wings then flitting to the roots to shake and preen. I felt like I had just been given the most amazing gift and was privy to an amazing little secret. I pulled my camera out of my purse and began shooting - it's a digital so hopefully I got a few good shots. The flash of the camera stopped one bright blue and green fellow -- he stopped, stared and took flight - straight at my face then gracefully veered to the right and flew off (I guess he told me). His friend did the same thing just a moment later. I feel kind of guilty and like a bit of a voyeur.....

We climbed to the top and there it was - the crater - big honkin' hole in the ground. At the bottom was a, well, a lake with steam coming off of it. Lots of steam, lots of sulpher - big hole - lottsa water - lottsa steam. It's a crater. Yep, that's it - that's an official water filled crater with steam...... I don't know what I was expecting -- maybe I've watched too much National Geographic with the shots of red lava rolling down to the sea in Hawaii. Took lots of pictures of the steamy, waterfilled hole. Who knows - maybe someday I'll be struck by the majesty and/or awesomeness of the whole thing - but not today.

Doug is hitting me over the head with an empty soap bottle as he reads this over my shoulder. He's saying "don't think I'll let you forget this when we go to the Grand Canyon" I said - what, another big hole in the ground - hey, you're the one that wants to see that. He says "yeah, but at least you can drive up to it and don't have to hike" bonk, bonkity bonk bonk on my head......

More in a bit.....

No comments:

Post a Comment