Thursday, June 17, 2010

Some Miscellaneous Thoughts on Food

Food - I can be a food snob. I'm the first to admit it and sometimes drive myself crazy. I love really good food - I'm not talking about uber fancy, I'm talking about well made, well prepared, fresh ingredients -- clean food -- good flavors and balance. I also understand that different cultures see food differently. I know that when you travel you need to open your palate and your mind. I will admit here that sometimes that is difficult.

We've eaten at this lovely little Italian restaurant twice. The food is well prepared and pretty well balanced. I never want to eat there again. There, I've said it. Why? Because, for Italian food, it falls far short of the mark. It's nice, it's safe, it's the most bland version of Italian food I have ever eaten. I'm not sure that Oregano and Basil have crossed the threshold into the kitchen. Garlic? Yep, they have that. Pepper - you want pepper -- it isn't on the table - you have to ask and then they come over with the big pepper mill, impressive I suppose, but a bit over the top. Now here's the thing about travel. You will go places that have their OWN INTERPRETATION of other cultures food -- interpretations that take into consideration the palate of those who are native to the country. This restaurant is very well known here, very well received and reviewed and very successful. It would fail miserably in the US. I say this not as a complaint or slam but to remind you, remind us all -- open your palate and embrace the cuisine, be it local or local interpretations of other cultures.

Sodas (diners) and local resturants -- oh the joy, the bliss of looking at a menu with English subtitles (which can be quite amusing in and of themselves). Pick something - pick anything you remotely recognize and then dig in with the spirit of adventure -- you're someplace different, exotic perhaps. Enjoy it -- don't ask too much, try and figure it out. Take a picture of it and post it - maybe someone can help you figure it out later. Doug had the most delicious plate of Arroz con Pollo I have ever tasted -- it was far and away different than what we get stateside or have eaten anyplace else. Why? Because each culture, each country gives their own spin to a universally recognized dish.

Fast food - yeah, I know -- I'm stunned that people travel out of the US and find themselves in Subway or Burger King (we hit BK twice). It's going to be different than what you're used to - get over it -- palates are different and so are local customs. Let's just say BK in CR ain't BK in the USA. But that's okay, it's close enough to get you through the "I just want to eat something I recognize" moments we all experience.

There is a Chinese restaurant just up the road -- I am a Chinese food junkie. I love good Chinese food and this place has a wonderful reputation and the scents coming out of that kitchen make my mouth water. Doug, on the other hand, isn't fond of Chinese food and with all he's going through, I'm not even going to bring up the almost overwhelming desire I have to walk, nay, run into that place and pore over the menu. Who knows, maybe I should never go there - perhaps it's best that I just wonder if it tastes as good as it smells -- leave something to the imagination.

I've eaten things here I don't recognize and will probably never be able to identify.

I've eaten Plantains prepared in various ways, Yucca for breakfast, the local black bean and rice breakfast staple(YUMMO), thick slices of zucchini enrobed in egg for breakfast (oddly nice) and more fresh fruit than I can count.

Bakeries are HUGE here (not size, but number) -- I suppose that since most of the time the weather is very comfortable and cool the concept of a cup of coffe and a nosh is pretty common. You can always tell when you're closing in on a bakery -- you can smell the bread and pastry - a wonderful, mouthwatering scent that teases and calls to you. I wish I could just sit in one of these little storefronts, drink coffee and eat myself silly. What a way to go!

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to let you know I'm reading and with you Linda. I have a remodel project I am engulfed in so I'm not at the computer as much. I still read your reports late evening when I'm done working, usually like now with a glass of wine. I know exactly what you are saying and where you are coming from with the foods of a different country. You most definitely have to open the palate along with the mind. I have experienced just what you have written about. For instance, Connie's taco's taste nothing like taco's we get in Cabo or Puerto Vallarta. They are much better. However when we are visiting Mexico their tacos are very welcomed.

    ReplyDelete