Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sunday - the healing continues - Updated

It's about 11:30 AM here -- we had breakfast -- once again I ate something and had no idea what it was -- it was really good though. I'm finding that when you're someplace and you don't have a good command of the languge you have only two choices when it comes to food -- give it a shot or pass. Doug usually chooses to pass, I usually choose to give it a shot. I have to say, I haven't had anything that was bad but I do wish I could find out what some of these things are.

Breakfast choices sometimes make me say, hmmmmmm -- like mixed vegetables or fried cauliflower - I just don't get it. hmmmmm.

Doug is still feeling pretty bad - hopefully the Pharmacia nearby is open -- he needs more pain meds. His swelling is still there but there is no sign of infection or fever so things are progressing.

Weather continues to be consistent - cloudy with intermittent sun, lots of rain but nice and cool.

It's probably going to be another very quiet day - read, nap, play on FB, blog, read, nap... repeat.

Saw our little mohawk-headed bird this morning and gave him his portion of whole wheat toast - yeah, that's our excitement for the day :-)

Well, needed to go to the Pharmacia y mercado - exchanged some dollars for colones and hopped in the taxi with Ramon. On the way I commented on the huge park near the hotel. Ramon tells me this was the location of Costa Rica's first airport - when they moved and expanded it, they turned the old one into a park -- soccer fields, childrens playgrounds, walking and jogging paths, picnic tables and benches made out of trees (they are really cool - hopefully I'll get a photo). Ramon asked if I had ever seen a cork tree - nope, had not. He grinned and pulled the van over - we hopped out and as we were walking we saw a squirrel (they are a little different than the ones in Florida - grey and cinnamon colored - pretty little things) trying to wrangle little Mango's --- wasn't working out so well for the little guy.

Cork Oak - really, really cool tree - the bark is spongy and he "pulled" me a piece. He says I can take it home, I hope so - it'll be a great addition to our collection of, well, weird stuff. Can I take bark out of the country I wonder, technically it isn't a plant nor is it a fruit -- well, time will tell.

Got to Mas x Menes (this market is owned by WALMART - jimminy crickets - they're going to take over the planet) and Doug wanted "real food" -- picked up some fettucine nests, heavy cream, butter, parmesean, garlic and some spices and chicken breasts. Got back home and poached the breasts in chicken stock, paprika, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, vodka and white wine. Hey, I know - it sounds odd, but when your kitchen rivals that of the one on The Honeymooners and your pantry is pathetic, ya work with what ya have. It was surprisingly good and tender. Made an alfredo sauce and after the chicken rested, sliced it thinly -- he managed to eat a plate without too much awful pain. Gave him his meds and he's back off to bed.

Time to cruise the channels -- they have quite the assortment -- watching a show in French with Spanish subtitles really messes with your head. I'm not even going to go into the Japanese/Spanish thing -- very diverse television here.

Well, if anything else happens today/tonight - I'll keep you posted but for now, Buenos Noches mi amigas y amigos - tengo un buen noche!

No comments:

Post a Comment